A photograph of Gloria Ramirez
|Theories|| · Dimethyl sulfoxide|
The Toxic Lady, real name Gloria Ramirez, was a Riverside, California, woman who became famous when several Riverside General Hospital workers became ill after exposure to her body and blood.
About 8:15 p.m. on the evening of February 19, 1994, Ramirez, suffering from the effects of advanced cervical cancer, was brought into the emergency room of Riverside General Hospital by paramedics. The medical staff injected her with diazepam, midazolam, and lorazepam to sedate her. When it became clear that Ramirez was responding poorly to treatment, the staff tried to defibrillate her heart; at that point several people saw an oily sheen covering Ramirez's body, and some noticed a fruity, garlic-like odor that they thought was coming from her mouth. A registered nurse named Susan Kane attempted to draw blood from Ramirez's arm and noticed an ammonia-like smell coming from the tube.
Gloria was of Mexican descent. She had straight black hair, glasses, and a beauty mark to the left of her nose.
There are several explanations as to what the creature could be. Theories include:
- Dimethyl sulfoxide
There are no notable accounts that we could find.
- Two months after Ramirez died, her badly decomposed body was released for an independent autopsy and burial. The Riverside Coroner's Office hailed Livermore's DMSO conclusion as the probable cause of the hospital workers' symptoms, while her family disagreed. The Ramirez family's pathologist was unable to determine a cause of death because her heart was missing, her other organs were cross-contaminated with fecal matter, and her body was too badly decomposed. Ten weeks after she died, Ramirez was buried in an unmarked grave at Olivewood Memorial Park in Riverside.